A Companion to Ancient Near Eastern Languages – eBook
- Author: Rebecca Hasselbach-Andee
- File Size: 5 MB
- Format: PDF
- Length: 854 pages
- Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell
- Publication Date: February 25, 2020
- Language: English
- ASIN: B08576SJXT
- ISBN-10: 111919329X
- ISBN-13: 9781119193296
A Companion to Ancient Near Eastern Languages (PDF) covers the major language families, languages, and writing systems attested in the Ancient Near East.
Filled with enlightening chapters by noted experts in the field, this ebook introduces Ancient Near Eastern (ANE) languages and language families used during the time period of roughly 3200 BCE to the second century CE in the areas of Egypt, eastern Anatolia, Mesopotamia, the Levant, and Iran. In addition to providing grammatical sketches of the respective languages, the ebook focuses on socio-linguistic questions such as diglossia, language contact, the development of literary standard languages, and the development of diplomatic languages or “linguae francae.” It also addresses the interaction of Ancient Near Eastern languages with each other and their roles within the political and cultural systems of ANE societies.
Presented in 5 parts, The Companion to Ancient Near Eastern Languages provides readers with in-depth chapter coverage of the writing systems of ANE, starting with their decipherment. It looks at the emergence of cuneiform writing; the development of Egyptian writing in the fourth and early third millennium BCI; and the emergence of alphabetic scripts. The ebook also covers many of the individual languages themselves, including Egyptian, Sumerian, Hittite, Akkadian, Pre- and Post-Exilic Hebrew, Ancient South Arabian, Phoenician, and more.
- Written by leading experts on the languages and topics
- Addresses how the individual languages interacted with each other and how they functioned in the societies that used them
- Provides an overview of all major language families and writing systems used in the Ancient Near East during the time period from the beginning of writing (approximately 3200 BCE) to the 2nd century CE (end of cuneiform writing)
The Companion to Ancient Near Eastern Languages is an ideal ebook for scholars and undergraduate and graduate students interested in Ancient Near Eastern cultures and languages or certain aspects of these languages.
NOTE: The product only includes the ebook The Companion to Ancient Near Eastern Languages in PDF. No other access codes included with the sale.